The next announcement of travel grants:
Will be in spring 2019.
The last of the past announcements:
Finnish doctoral training network in philosophy announced travel scholarships (max. 700€) for PhD students and for the travels between October 26, 2017 and December 31, 2018.
for the travels of late 2017 and early 2018, send your application (including the possible attachments) by November 15, 2017,
for the travels to be dated later in 2018, send the application by March 31, 2018.
Applications should be pdf-files, the file name should start with the applicant’s last name, and the file should be sent to: email@example.com.
The application can be freely formulated, but it should be as brief and clear as possible. An acceptable application is titled ‘Travel Grant Application’, and it has to include the following data:
1. Applicant’s name and contact information (address, e-mail, and phone number);
2. The name, dates, and organizer of the event participated in;
3. The location of the event (country, city, and university);
4. A short description of the event and the role the applicant will be playing there (please attach the abstract of the paper to be delivered to your application) and its relation to your dissertation.
5. A clear expression of the total sum applied for;
6. A detailed statement of the components of the total sum, which may consist only of travel and accommodation costs (and conference fee, when applicable);
7. A letter of acceptance (if already available, an e-mail suffices) from the organizer of the conference or workshop in which the applicant is giving her/his presentation (and possibly a letter of recommendation for other types of events);
8. A clarification of additional funding received or applied for from other sources.
When writing your application, please do check that it actually contains all the required information without which it will not be reviewed!
The decision concerning the scholarships will be made in two weeks after the deadline (November 30, 2017 and April 15, 2018).
The condition to be met for a scholarship is that the student is officially studying at the University of Helsinki, Jyväskylä, Tampere or Turku or at Åbo Akademi. The further criteria of evaluation are that the applicant has an active role (e.g. deliver a paper) in the particular event (conference etc.) she or he is participating and that this event can be evaluated as both academically significant and relevant to her or his doctoral dissertation.
You can send an application even if you don’t at present have the confirmation of your approval. In such case the decision will be made on the condition that that the approval will be confirmed. Further practicalities will be given with the decision.
Accepted travel grants
(“Cancelled” below means only that awarded grant was not used, i.e. either the travel was not carried out or it got funding from other sources.)
In April 2018, travel grants were granted to: Aho Olli, 650 €; Babushkina Dina, 350 €; Elgabsi Natan, 700 €; Frandsen Daniel, 500 €; Haanila Heidi, 700 € (cancelled); Koi Polaris, 700 €; Koivisto Riitta, 700 €; Kortesmäki Markus, 600 €; Koskinen Rami, 650 €; Kärki Kaisa, 600 €; Luuppala Linnea, 350 €; Martela Frank, 700 € (cancelled); Paukkonen Ville, 700 €; Päällysaho Pieta, 700 € (cancelled); Rantala Juho, 200 € (cancelled); Rauhala Paula, 700 €; Sarkia Matti, 700 €; Suni Ninni, 600 €; Vesterinen Tuomas, 600 €; Vienola Minna-Kerttu, 700 €; Virta Jaana, 700 € (cancelled).
In December 2017 travel grants were granted to: Tarna Kannisto 700 €, Aino Lahdenranta 300 €, Petteri Limnell 700 € (cancelled), Thomas Macher 600 €, Corrado Piroddi 300 €, Noora Tienaho 500 €, Niklas Toivakainen 700 €.
In March 2017, travel grants were granted to: Jan Forsman 300 €, Daniel Frandsen 300 €, Heidi Haanila 700 €, Matti Heinonen 600 €, Visa Helenius 700 € (cancelled), Jaakko Hirvelä 500 €, Tero Ijäs 600 €, Polaris Koi 300 €, Rami Koskinen 600 €, Aino Lahdenranta 500 €, Thomas Macher 600 €, Joonas Martikainen 700 € (cancelled), Sini Paakkanen 500 €, Ville Paukkonen 600 €, Joonas Pennanen 500 €, Renne Pesonen 650 €, Paula Rauhala 700 €, Noora Tienaho 500 € (cancelled), Tuomas Vesterinen 700 €, Veli Virmajoki 200 €, Anita Välikangas 700 € (cancelled).
In 2016, travel grants were granted to: JYU: Teea Kortetmäki 650, Aino Lahdenranta 350; UTA: Paula Rauhala 650, Jan Forsman 350; UTU: Sini Paakkanen 500, Veli Virmajoki 350; ÅA: Natan Elgabsi 650, Leena Pylkkö 350 (cancelled); UH: Johanna Ahola-Launonen 550, Matti Heinonen 550, Jaakko Hirvelä 550, Joonas Martikainen 550, Avril Styrman 550, Pii Telakivi 550 and Anita Välikangas 550.